Unless you’ve been living under a rock or don’t have access to TV you’ve probably seen the Empire today commercials 1000 times in your life. Empire today carpet installer commercials are very enticing especially when they have their supposed it half off all carpet and flooring installation sale.
I guess their advertising works because recently I purchased a new home which needed carpeting so I called Empire today.
This page reveals to you step-by-step exactly what happened and what you can expect if you decide to do business with Empire today carpet installers.
Empire Today Phone Call
The first thing I did to initiate the carpet install process was make a phone call to the company. The phone number is 800-588-2300. I am in no way affiliated with Empire today. I make absolutely no commissions if you decide to have your carpet or hardwood floor installed by them.
The representative on the telephone set up an appointment to have somebody come out to me with carpet samples so I can pick a carpet. The representative showed up at his appointment time five minutes early which, quite frankly, impressed me.
Empire Today Representative Coming to my House
The first negative thing I should say about Empire today with the overall selection of carpeting was somewhat thin. Maybe the representative who came to see me, because my appointment was at the end of the day, was already tired and didn’t feel like lugging in 10 sample packs of carpeting. This I don’t know.
The representative had two books that each contained about 40 different samples of carpet. One book had the less expensive lower quality carpet. The second book had thicker, plush or, more expensive carpeting.
I picked out the carpeting in color I desired. The representative then proceeded to take about 20 minutes or so making measurements and then going back into his car to make calculations.
The total square footage of the areas I wanted carpeted was around 400 ft.², a living room, large bedroom and a closet. I was expecting a price of somewhere between $800 and $1000 give or take.
Empire Half Off Sale Scam
The price the representative gave me was two different prices:
- The price for the cheaper carpeting.
- The price for the more expensive carpeting.
Don’t expect a big price break if you get your carpet installed by Empire Today. The job is great. 50% off sale?? Bullshit.
The representative gave me a price of around $3000 for the more expensive carpeting and $2200 for the cheaper carpeting. Of course with their wonderful half off sale the price came down to $1500 and change and $1100.
Unless you are getting your carpet installed in Dubai anyone can clearly see this is no deal, even at half off. I haggled with the guy for a bit and told him it was a bit expensive and if he can give me the more expensive carpet for $1200 we have a deal.
The representative supposedly called his manager or somebody in charge spoke with him for about five minutes and said they can do a price of around $1350.
I clearly, quickly, and easily saw their shuck and jive and under normal circumstances I would have told the representative to take a hike for trying to con me. Fortunately for him and his commissions I had already been working on my home for the past two months and was getting a bit weary and just wanted to get the carpet installed and get it done so I agreed to do business.
Setting the Carpet Install Appointment
The representative took out his calendar and came up with the date for the install of the carpeting. The representative also had me sign some paperwork as well as give him a 10% deposit. The way it worked Is the guys who are actually going to be installing the carpet would call me the morning of the date and let me know exactly what time they will be there, so basically, whatever you date you set for your appointment for the carpet install you have to make yourself available for most of the entire day.
Carpet Appointment Day
At 9 AM on the date set up between me and the representative, I received a call from Empire today telling me that something had come up and they couldn’t make the appointment that day but promised me they would arrive the following day. I agreed.
At 9 AM the following day I got a phone call from one of the installers telling me they will be there somewhere during the middle or late afternoon. The installers ended up arriving at 6 PM. The entire job took 2 1/2 hours.
Quality of Workmanship of the Carpet Install
When it came to the actual install of the carpet I will have to say I was extremely impressed.
Although to be honest with you this really isn’t a compliment or a high praise for Empire Today company as they merely hire subcontractors to do the install for them. That being said the installers did an incredible job that pretty much what was perfect.
Image of the Carpet in my Living Room, Installed by EmpireToday.com
Absolutely no complaints from me about the install of the carpet.
Overall Review of Empire Carpet Install
I’m in a breakdown this review into several sections and then an overall review grade.
- Selection of Carpet: 3 stars out of 5. ✮✮✮✰✰ (As previously mentioned the sales representative had only two books of carpet samples for a total of about 40 or so samples. The selections of colors was even thinner.)
- Reliability, meaning keeping appointment times, etc.: 4 stars out of 5. ✮✮✮✮✰ (The only reason not five stars at a five is because the initial appointment for the actual carpet install was canceled and changed to the next day.)
- Price: 2 stars out of 5. ✮✮✰✰✰ (Even the suppose it half price was a bit higher than it should have been. I am almost positive I could have gotten significantly lower prices if I’ve been more patient and more willing to shop around.)
- Company Honesty/Integrity: 1 star out of 5. ✮✰✰✰✰ (Their commercials making a big deal about 50% off sale is complete garbage and totally misleading. All Empire today does is double the price from what they really want so they are suppose it half price sale give them what they really want. A pretty sleazy tactic. If you’re going to advertise something as bold as 50% off you should at the very most charge average.)
- Quality of workmanship, how good the install was: 5 stars out of 5. ✮✮✮✮✮ As previously mentioned the workers did an awesome job and were pretty quick. Absolutely no complaints here.
- Overall Review for EmpireToday: 3 stars out of 5. ✮✮✮✰✰
Why You Should Call Empire Today for Carpet Install
Based upon my personal experience if the most important thing to you is a good job then you’re definitely gonna want to hire Empire today. In other words if you don’t mind paying a little extra and you don’t mind being bullshitted but you want a great job and it comes to how the carpet looks in the quality of the install then definitely call Empire today.
Why you Should NOT Call Empire Today.
If you are truly and honestly looking for a deal, a good price that is lower than most for your carpet and install, look elsewhere. I am sure if you find a local carpet installer you’re going to get a much better price.
Part of the reason why Empire today is more expensive than most is because all the levels they have to pay commissions to.
- Empire Today does a ton of advertising that has to be paid for.
- Empire today has to pay commissions to the sales representative that comes out to your home to show you carpet samples.
- Empire Today has to pay the guys who install the carpet for you.
- And last but not least, Empire today has to make a commission for themselves.
That’s four levels deep of commissions that have to be paid to people that have mouths to feed and families to take care of.
You are the one paying that final bill so don’t believe any of that 50% off garbage you see in the commercials. If a company being honest with you is important you’re definitely not gonna want to call Empire today. 50% off is a complete crock.
Other EmpireToday Reviews Online
Shortly after posting this, I did my own search for EmpireToday Review and was astonished at the giant number of horrible reviews there were for the company. I suppose if I had done this BEFORE hiring them I never would have.